Monday, February 28, 2022

And the...skirt?

 The fabric used for the previous pair of tights just didn't seem suitable for a shirt.

Now, reason would say if it's not suitable for a shirt, it's even less suitable for a skirt, but here we are

It's McCall's 3185 again, this time with an inch folded out at the lengthen/shorten lines, and another inch and a half folded over at the waistline.  It's still not nearly as short as the view on the pattern envelope illustration, but we're getting there.

The waistband is once again elastic zigzagged to the waistline, then serged to make it look neater (in theory), then folded over and zigzagged through all layers

It's physically impossible for the elastic to twist when ya do it like that!

I decided to add some scalloped black lace just because I could.  I was wearing the pink rib knit version of this skirt, so I was able to see just how much lace would be needed, and I surprised myself by having some of the black lace I'd gotten years ago from Deb's Lace that was long enough.

Now, does it make the whole thing look like a slip?  Maybe.  Will I wear it as a slip?  Probably not, since it's not particularly slippery, but it probably will end up as a layering piece.

I did the construction stitching in gray, to use up what was in the bobbin, then stitched the hem in off white and sewed on the lace with black.  It's not pretty inside.

And the back, which has some subtle not-prettiness going on, too

No, I'm not talking about the lack of ironing.  Instead, I mis-estimated the amount of fabric I had to work with and had to piece the side back panels, creating accidental semi-godets.

Which are, y'know, the least of this skirt's concerns.  It's fine. (I do plan to get back to projects where I take some more time and stop saying that...)


No comments:

Post a Comment