Tuesday, February 15, 2022

As Easy as 1,2,3: 3

 So, I made the tights

And then I made the turtleneck

And then I still had quite a bit of that pale pink (with subtle gray heathering, which is why I used gray thread) rib knit left, so I decided...why not make a skirt?

I don't generally make skirts from knits, because that seem so...indulgent?  There are some garments that can only be made from knits, and skirts--especially swirly swooshy skirts--are not one of those.

But I really wanted to use up a lot of the remaining fabric...plus...the idea of a possible outfit of shirt + skirt + tights all made from the same fabric just seemed funny.

So I grabbed McCall's 3185 from 1987

and chose view C, the shortest view.

This skirt...is not short.

I had never used this pattern before, and was surprised to find that the pieces had a separate cutting line in some areas specifically for use with knits, so I took that as a good sign.

As a single size pattern, I didn't have to do my usual "cut under the line because I have changed size enough that I now hesitate to cut a multisize pattern in a single size because what if I need one of the other sizes in the future?" thing.  I technically probably should have used a medium, but this pattern is a large, so large it is.  I figured I'd just make the elastic a bit smaller.

It sewed together so fast!  Even with me serging every seam to finish it after sewing them with a lock stitch, and sewing the hemline twice to make a mock coverstitch.


Waistband formed like I did the tights, creating something with the bulk distributed very evenly and the elastic sewn down so it can never twist like it would inside a casing.


This does, however, mean that the waistband is half the depth the pattern calls for.  And the size large is half an inch longer than the medium, so those factors together add a bit of length to the skirt as made versus as the pattern would have it if I made a medium, but those added together still aren't enough to explain why the illustration of this view is well above the knee, while this skirt on me is as long as view B, which is given as 3" longer than view C should be.  I mean, yeah, my legs are short, but they're not that short.  Yeah, OK, maybe they are.

I'll keep this in mind for future versions of this skirt, because, while this is longer than I expected, it's not bad.  The knit fabric gives it a somewhat 1970s look?  It would be easy enough to shorten this skirt from the top...well...if the way I applied the elastic weren't so hard to pick out and reuse. (This project also showed me that I really need more waistline elastic.)

Once again, no back view, because it looks pretty much like the front view, except for the double stitching to show me which side is back.

I did try all the pieces on together, and they are cute!  I need a better wide black belt to be happy with the combination, but, honestly, swapping this skirt for the quick plaid print skirt is a lot cuter.  Options!


No comments:

Post a Comment