Tuesday, February 8, 2022

Floral Cascade Bomber

 Even with the need to fussy cut for pattern matching, there was still quite a bit of that floral and stripe knit left from the previous project.  I wanted to use enough of it that whatever was left wouldn't take up much storage space, so...hey...how 'bout another jacket?

I used Stretch & Sew 1027, which I'd traced and modified a few years ago to make a gift.  Even before starting the project, I wasn't sure if I'll keep this jacket, so I wanted to make it in a size that could suit more people than the New Look bomber I usually make.

It certainly used up a good amount of remaining fabric.

Since it was a low-commitment project, I used a zipper that was short by a few inches and didn't extend it into the waistband.  I extended and interfaced the little non-ribbing waistband bits and added a button.

I didn't do anything fancy at the top of the zipper--I figure most people aren't likely to zip a jacket like this all the way to the top anyway.

I made the neckband from the floral part of the print, and thought I'd make the cuffs and waistband from the striped area, but the fabric just wasn't stretchy enough, so I used some ribbing salvaged from something else.

Of course it has pockets

This is a fun print, and I do wonder what it was designed for, and what other colorways it may have had

and how different the intended use was from what I've done with it.

There's still maybe a solid half yard of this left, as well as odds'n'ends that are big enough to use for doll clothes (and I'll probably send pieces to my doll sewy friends...eventually. after I finish sewing things from the other 4 yard knit precut I got at the same time as this one.)

No comments:

Post a Comment