Saturday, March 5, 2022

Then again

OK, yeah, I thought I was done with all the "make tights, then figure out what to make from the rest of the fabric" projects.

But.

The fabric left over from the very first pair of  tights I made was still around, taunting me.  I didn't want to put it back in the stash, but I didn't particularly want to use it for anything I could think if offhand, either.

When I had first picked it up at Walmart, I figured I'd make leggings from it.  And, even though the tights were a great success, I still kinda wanted a pair of leggings made from it.  Did I have enough of that fabric left to make a pair of mid-calf leggings?

Yes!

But!

Not how I initially expected.

Since this fabric has a decent amount of vertical stretch, this worked out just fine. I'm wearing them today, no problems!

I did use the old no side seam leggings pattern I made from a 1970s leggings pattern (that not only had side seams, but also a zipper, because 1970s stretch knit technology was nowhere near what we have now), and that's why the stripes are doing that at the inseam.  It looks fine on, and I mean that with a lot more enthusiasm than my usual declarations of "it's fine."

I made the hems with bands of the same fabric cut in the direction if greater stretch, and the fit is nice'n'smooth.  Finishing knits with ribbing/bands is just the best, y'know?


No comments:

Post a Comment