Tuesday, February 22, 2022

And Again, Part 2

 Making a pair of tights from a 2 yard length of 60" wide knit fabric leaves a sizable amount of usable cloth, so I wondered if there was enough left from the pair of tights I'd just made to make a matching shirt.

The answer is a solid Yes!

A solid, gray, but usefully neutral yes.

 

The basic pattern  is New Look 6068, which is very straightforward, and I almost made View C as given.

I replaced the sleeve elastic and neckline facings (facings! in a pullover knit shirt! preposterous!) with bands of the same knit as the rest of the shirt.

 

 I did not, of course, measure the length of any of these substitution pieces, although I did get a rotary cutter and ruler to make them genuinely straight and even widths instead of trying to eyeball things.  Length, though?  I just found a bit of cast-off fabric that looked good.

More care could have been taken with distributing the neckline band onto the neckline fullness, but the thread I used matched the fabric very well, and picking it out to redo was not easy--I did pick out and redo a small area of the neck band, because the neckline fabric had wandered a bit and there was a big unsightly pucker that not even I could live with, and you know how much I decide I can live with.

Hem is the usual two lines of stitching pretending to be a coverstitch.

Back shows the same neckline versus band stretch issues, now classified as A Learning Experience.

The first time I revisited New Look 6068, in the form of the blue stripe mock turtleneck, I cut it in size 14, which is technically my size.  The resulting shirt was a looser than I expected.  So I cut the pink rib knit turtleneck in size 12, since I've been doing well cutting button up shirts in size 12.  It was still not as snug as I apparently expect shirts made from this pattern to be.  So!  I cut size 10 this time, and it's just right.  Lesson in negative ease and a super stretchy knit.

I have a few more Walmart 2 yard knit precuts waiting to be definitely turned into tights and, now, probably turned into matching shirts as well.  I'll probably go back to the cloth left from the first pair of cut and sewn tights I made and make a shirt from that, too.

I do genuinely enjoy making button up woven shirts with print matching across the opening and loads of top stitching, but these quick knit projects are a different kind of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment