Thursday, February 24, 2022

And the Shirt

 This gray stripe knit fabric was not 60", so the amount left to eke out a shirt wasn't as generous.

New Look 6068 view B, however, has very narrow shoulders and a back seam


  so it worked.

Mostly.

The recent revelation that I can wear this shirt pattern cut in size 8 prompted me to look again at the views that I'd cut in size 6 about...uhh...20 years ago.  This fabric is probably stretchy enough (in both directions) that I could have gotten away with cutting a straight size 6, but I went ahead and added a rough quarter inch to the sides and shoulders when I was cutting things out.

The extreme stretchiness inspired me to cut neck and arm ribbing 90° off grain, which made the stripes nicely perpendicular at the neck, but not so much on the arms.

The pattern did not call for ribbing for the neckline and arm holes, but I don't enjoy hemming knits, so ribbing cut to eyeballed lengths it is.

And yes I didn't press the fabric.  It'll work out in the dryer.

I didn't take much care about stripes when cutting things out, but I went ahead and matched them (more or less) when sewing the side and back seams, and things ended up markedly askew

The bottom edges didn't  line up at all, so I had to accept that there was no way that the bottom edge could be cut straight and just evened things up.

So the stripes are lined up, still not straight.

Not a problem.

(Incidentally, the way I mostly used this particular pattern view in the early 2000s was cut from obnoxiously printed synthetic jersey and with a circle skirt attached to make a drop-waist dress. I almost never took pictures of sewing projects back then, though, so you'll just have to imagine it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment