Wednesday, August 24, 2022

The End of the Green

 The three yards of 60" extra thick french terry used for the kiddo's green pants and Husband's green shorts had just enough left to make a long skirt for me--honestly, I had expected Husband to choose pants and therefore leave me with enough fabric for a simple mini skirt, but that didn't happen, and I was so tired of that fabric that I wanted to use as much of it as possible for this last project.

So.

A long skirt it is.

and I am currently very hostile toward it.

I really feel like this fabric would have been better as outerwear--not just a hoodie (or else I would have made one for the kiddo from it), but a full-blown coat.  And sewn by a machine with more power than mine, with its little can motor that is normally just fine.

And still I decided to sew multiple layers in the form of using a pattern for a carpenter skirt, Simplicity 8526 from 1998

Size 16, with a single piece of elastic in the waistband along with a drawstring, both of which are tacked at the center back.

I used the outside pockets from skirt view E

and the asymmetrical leg pockets of pants view A

but there was no way I was going to be able to sew that thick fabric into a flat strip to make the hammer loop, so I dug into the trim stash and used the last bit of webbing from the purse I made last year.  It's...uh...a pop of contrast.

I am not happy with any of the top stitching on this, and I am even less happy that I couldn't serge any of the seam allowances.  Yes, I know, it's purely aesthetic when construction is on a lockstitch machine, but aesthetic improvements might have convinced me to like making this thing.

I initially tried turning the front slit seam allowances twice and stitching, but...too thick, looked horrible inside, and the nature of a front slit meant the inside would be visible from the outside.  So I used some of the bias tape I made randomly when I first got my bias tape maker.

and also to stabilize and neaten the also-highly-visible inner edge of the bottom hem.  It's still really rough and irregular.

But it's done.

(I didn't have enough fabric for back pockets.)

I do want to revisit the idea of a (shorter) cargo skirt that's absolutely loaded with pockets, although in a friendlier fabric like wool or corduroy.  And I am hoping that this skirt will feel, on chilly winter days, like I'm wearing a blanket.  It'll be a while before I can test that, and maybe by then enough time will have passed for me to forget how annoying it was to make.


No comments:

Post a Comment