Monday, August 8, 2022

Small

 OK, absolute transparency: my last period wiped out motivation for a few weeks.  It's still not really back yet, but I have managed a few small projects

Most of which are literally small, like these doll pants I made for a trade

I used a pattern I designed to fit both Curvy Barbie and Original Ken, and the person with whom I'm trading likes bright loud stuff.  I cut everything out at once and batch sewed them over the course of many uninspired days.  Nothing challenging!

Also surprisingly unchallenging was this doll backpack


LOL OMG dolls have a 'surprise' feature where you have to open a small packet to 'reveal' the rest of the doll's clothes and accessories (which you know you're getting because they're all in the illustration on the front of the box.)  I have only ever bought one LOL OMG new (but still on clearance, we're talking about me, after all), so it wasn't until I had the packet from that doll in my hands that I realized it wasn't just paper or plastic, but instead a vaguely Tyvek-wannabe combination of plastic over a nonwoven base.

And that meant it could be sewn.

So I put it aside for a few months, unsure of what, exactly, I'd use it for.  Saturday was when I decided 'backpack' seemed like the best option.  I used an existing doll backpack for size reference, but cut everything out with no pattern.  It went together much easier than I expected!

I convinced myself it was worth using some of the little action figure webbing buckles that have been in my stash for years...then they ended up being not exactly the kind of slide buckles I thought they were, but I convinced them to work.  The zipper curve is very lumpy because I can't convince myself to notch into the zipper tape.  Still! I think it turned out well, and I might try making a similar human-size backpack (equally patternless) someday.

The final quick sewing project from last week was adjusting the waistband on the basic black long wool sheath skirt I made three weeks ago.  I quickly decided that the waistband snugness was unacceptable, especially knowing I had added some width to the front that I then eased back out for the original size 16 waistband.

I did not have enough of the fabric left to cut an entire new waistband, so I removed the button and picked out the stitches on the waistband from the button edge of the opening all the way around to just past the side seam on the other side.  I sewed an (unmeasured, natch) extension to the free end of the waistband, pressed everything appropriately, then sewed the waistband back on at the full width of the front, no easing.  The extension seam is visible next to the back opening when it's closed


which is absolutely fine since it means I can actually wear the skirt now when I'm not at my lowest cyclical weight.

I have also started editing the video I recorded of the making of the tulle star shirt, but I can't finish that until I get video of me wearing the outfit, which is why I made this skirt...and I didn't do that earlier because the skirt didn't fit with period water gain. Fixed that!  Now, if the temperature would cooperate with a long wool skirt...

No comments:

Post a Comment