Saturday, June 4, 2022

Zip Fix

 So, when I made these shorts a few months ago

I had a bit of worry that maybe the zipper was too lightweight

And it was!

So the shorts had been sitting around for a while, waiting for me to get the gumption to replace that broken zipper with something sturdier

The external unit on our heat pump air conditioner stopped working a few days ago, so I had a while to consider low-effort projects to do while the house temperature worked its way into the high 80s (the repair happened just over 24 hours from realizing there was a problem, and turned out to be only a bad capacitor that was quickly replaced.)  I took that time to pick out the stitching and remove the original zipper, then sort through my metal tooth zipper supply and find something the right length, which I sewed in after the house got back to "do I really want to use a machine that generates any heat at all" temperatures. (For whatever it's worth, we keep the a/c at 77 in the summer, so it's not super cold normally.)

I, again, didn't worry about the zipper color

 

And it was pure coincidence that there was still golden yellow thread in the bobbin from the previous project, so I used that with no hesitation

 I did things as fast as possible and didn't align the zipper with the upper layers in a way that I could get two rows of stitching into the zipper tape.


When I feel like picking out stitching again, I might go back and do that.  Until then, these only barely fit anyway, sooooo I probably won't wear them until there's less stress on that stitching, however many lines of it there are.



No comments:

Post a Comment