Monday, June 27, 2022

A Basic Skirt

 Many years ago, I thrifted this Simplicity 2666 from 1948

And I made a skirt from it in 2013


Now...I did not have a 24" waist even back then, but the skirt pieces are cut so that only the centers are on the bias, so I added 1½" at each side seam to make a 30" waist. (Incidentally, I remember trying the skirt on right after I made it and being extremely disappointed with how it looked--then I tried a petticoat under it, and suddenly it was perfect.)

This skirt was one of the many things I gave away when I gained weight, and I finally tried making a new version

This time, I added 2" at each side seam.

I also really rushed the construction, and the single side seam pocket is a bit...dubious in how it hangs.

I already went back and cut it from the side seam below the pocket opening, and if it still misbehaves, I may consider my options for freeing it from the waistband.

Edit: After trying it on again, I went back and cut the pocket away from the waistband, curving the pocket into a more traditional teardrop shape.  Things still weren't right, so I removed the pocket completely.

I admit that the problem is probably from when I extended the width at the sides, and, apparently, on one side (as in 'front or back'), I curved that extension at one angle, and on the other I curved it at a different angle, because the notches that were meant to align with the pocket notches...didn't align with anything when I sewed with the top edges lined up.  I figured it was due to mis-cutting the notches, but, when I got to the bottom edge, those were also misaligned.  So.  There's probably something unexpectedly weird going on up there, and the pocket was just making it worse. Sad to give up the pocket, but it was causing too many problems. /Edit

The reason there's only one side seam pocket is because the other side seam has the zipper, which I installed in a moderately successful lapped formation.

This is also a pretty good view of the fabric--I'm not sure if it could be called a plaid, but it's definitely not a plain weave.  I used a navy zipper--and even changed the serger thread to navy--and charcoal thread for the construction.  Even though this fabric is definitely green, the other colors are in there, too.

I have not done a burn test, but I'm pretty sure, from the way the skin of my wrists felt, that there's wool in this.  That meant it behaved much better under the influence of the iron and the sewing machine blind hem stitching than the previous skirt, so no hand sewing was necessary.

The fabric came from the JoAnn section I think they used to call Red Tag (but now is multiple tag colors, corresponding to markdown amount), which is how they sell clearance fabric and mill ends.  This was a mill end (as opposed to clearance of their regular stock), although maybe it was a flawed section instead of the technical end of the factory's fabric needs, because it had a few strips where yarn colors were incorrectly distributed

I cut it so that was on the back, and, as usual, no-one should be looking that closely, guessing I made this, and judging me for not cutting around it.

This should be a useful basic wardrobe item, but I was inspired to make it by the ridiculous ruffled mixed print shirt from last week, although I have no idea if they'll go well together...in terms of shape.  In terms of prints and textures, what's one more, eh?



No comments:

Post a Comment