Tuesday, May 31, 2022

Quick Comforter (sus)

 The kiddo has worn two patchwork blankets to shreds in his lifetime, so I decided to make another one for him. The previous two were made years before he was born, so I asked if there was anything in particular he wanted in this one.

"Amogus," he said.

Now

This project was never meant to be anything intricate or complicated

and, normally, the idea of doing a custom Among Us reference of some sort would be more work than I'd want to do.

However.

When I got out all of the pieces to finish the purse I'd started in 2019, I noticed that one element of the overall print--which I hadn't looked at for nearly three years--now had a somewhat...suspicious familiarity to the motif

I showed it to him and he grinned and I got to (low effort) work

I acknowledge the problems. They don't keep the blanket from doing its job.

I really do like the look and feel of properly quilted fabric.  If I had a quilting frame and long arm machine, I'd probably use them to quilt pieces for clothing a lot more than blankets.

However, since I do not have those and have to deal with maneuvering fabric around my standard sewing machine...four lines of quilting through all layers is all I can stand.

The tablecloth used for the backing (folded to the front for the binding) was, I now suspect, very much off grain. Issues acknowledged, moving on.

Also not helping: there is no place in our current furniture configuration that leaves enough floor space to lay out anything as large as the tablecloth (twin size plus several inches more all around), so I laid it out in the yard.  I wore a big hat and loose dress but the sunlight was still miserable and things were probably not as well pinned as they should have been.  Acknowledged.

I cut the suspicious stripes and assembled them into a long strip, which ended up being right at 72" long--just enough for the twin size width.


Actually, everything (except the homespun pieces on the ends) was pieced to make strips long enough.  Based on the ways the other blankets fell apart, I'm hoping that having more seams means that the eventual falling apart will be at least somewhat stopped by those intersecting seams.  And the lack of seams is why I wanted to use a single large piece of fabric for the back.  I had originally chosen a sheet, but it turned out to be too small.  The kiddo likes loud prints anyway.

The future probably holds a more carefully crafted comforter for the kiddo.



No comments:

Post a Comment