Tuesday, June 14, 2022

Too Much Cinch

 I do want to clarify, the making of the previous cincher--and all of the cinchers/bustiers made over the last week and a half--was, actually, a cinch.  Even if the previous one didn't actually cinch anything.

But I'm really not looking for heavy compression, not on something closed with a zipper.  So, when I folded out some width on the pattern pieces to make this one, I was too generous, and it ended up much smaller--in fact, as narrow as the first attempt.

However!  Since this one is not only front zip, but the top layer is a knit, so not really adding to the overall sturdiness, I am able to wear it

 

 Snugly.

I used a large scrap of a vintage fabric (of which I have a bigger, non-scrap piece, again thanks to the friend's relative's destash) for the strength layer, and I turned it so the unprinted side was up, because this synthetic jersey knit is very thin and the strength layer's print was indeed showing through.

 

(I last used this fabric in 2015)

Sewed the boning channels with my now-standard set of lines of stitching, and used cut down 11" cable ties for the boning.  I may indeed someday buy actual boning.

This fabric is so shiny.  And ridiculous.

I made the lining from the same fabric from which I made the bias tape.  I'm pretty sure all-natural fabric is optimum for lining this kind of thing, but the super synthetic outer layer would negate the advantages of an all-natural interior, so why not.


Will I ever have an occasion to wear this?  I hope so!

And now we're halfway through this silly series of cinchers and such.


No comments:

Post a Comment