Monday, June 20, 2022

Haunted House Renovation

 So.

In 2015, I made a dress with a strip of Halloween print patchwork in the skirt.

And it was too small, so I didn't wear it.

In 2016, I made a shirt from a Halloween print.

And it was so roomy that I never wore it.

In 2020, I merged them into a single dress.

And I never wore that, either.

Finally*, yesterday, I picked things apart and converted the former dress's skirt into the standalone skirt I should have made to begin with

I used the same fabric and method as in the previous skirt restorations.

Unlike those, though, I did decide to salvage the shirt/bodice.

Since I cut the skirt off of the bodice with the serging intact on the skirt side, to maintain the gathering, that created a new raw edge on the shirt with a fairly crisp pressed edge next to it where the previous stitching to the skirt had been.  I turned the bottom so the freshly-cut edge was encased inside, and stitched along the crisp edge.  It definitely took more effort to describe than to do.

The newly-finished shirt is fairly short, yes.

But! I'm going to give it to a friend who likes Halloween and yellows and oranges and is short, so it'll be fine.

And I might go ahead and finish the lower edges of the bodices from the other reclaimed skirts...

* Maybe?

No comments:

Post a Comment