Sunday, July 19, 2015

Well, I thought it would be a skirt skirt, but it ended up being a skirt.

Skirt on a dress instead of a skirt on its own, that is.


I sewed five 4" wide selvedge-to-selvedge pieces together and finished one edge of that with the rolled edge foot before attaching it to the bottom of the patchwork piece with the ruffler foot...which took two tries, because it was set to gather too much the first time.  The second time had some  of the ruffle cloth left over, but that was OK because precision there wasn't required.  Attaching the patchwork to the bottom edge of the upper tier of the skirt, though...actually, it only took three tries to get it the right width, so it wasn't too tedious.  ('Traditional" gathering of ruffles is something I do find too tedious...)  I serged the seam allowances where the tiers came together, then topstitched close to those edges and then started to think...hmm...maybe it wouldn't be too misguided to make it a dress instead of a skirt...

I used the simple bodice I cobbled together from disparate patterns, opting to put the zipper in the back (instead of the side) because the skirt pieces were made with a back seam in mind.  Everything went together with no problems, and I finished by topstitching close to the edges of the arm openings and neckline.  Taadaa.  (Now I need to get back to my last-year weight to fit comfortably into it...)

No comments:

Post a Comment