Monday, April 3, 2023

Muted Mauve Knit Lace Mock Turtleneck

 This is what I cut first, then used the remnants from it to cut the shirt sewn first, blogged in the previous post.  That project proved that the serger wasn't going to immediately break the left needle, so I went ahead and sewed most of this with the serger as well.

I used the serger for all the construction seams except attaching the collar, which I sewed on with a narrow zigzag, following up with serging the seam allowance.

The pieces were all cut with a 5/8" seam allowance, so I just...kinda...fed it through the serger at what I estimated would end up with the left needle thread at 5/8".  I probably over-estimated.  The fabric is stretchy, it's fine.

Instead of my usual two lines of straight stitches to emulate the look of a cover stitch from the outside, I just did a narrow zigzag at the cuffs and lower hem.

I serged the raw edges at the cuffs and lower edge before sewing the hems, too.  Sometimes I'm fine with visible raw edges , sometimes I'm not.  The white serger thread didn't contrast too terribly starkly with the fabric's base color and sparkles.

This is made from a combination of a New Look 6068 bodice and KwikSew 303's sleeves, but this time I used the turtleneck view A, with armscyes slightly different from view C/D, but not different enough that 303's sleeves wouldn't work.

There is a spot on the top of one shoulder where the sleeve fabric made a tuck, but I absolutely did not feel like attempting to pick four thread serger stitching out of this fabric, so the small tuck stays, as does the small tuck that happened more inconspicuously under the other arm.  I pinned the sleeves in place before sewing, but, to keep well clear of the cutting blade, I put the pins about two inches from the edge, so I knew I was risking things sliding around. 

I also used the two-part back instead of cutting on the fold, just because I like that small bit of shaping. And the original pattern's collar is a full, folded-over turtleneck, which I tend not to do, instead going for mock turtlenecks like this (when I do the turtleneck view at all.)


This is another one that I feel like I'll need to expand my wardrobe to be able to have options for wear, but I've wanted to make more jumpers anyway, and I've never really been sure what I'd make from this fabric after I snapped it up from a  thrift store, so I'm happy with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment