Wednesday, April 19, 2023

Skull Slip

 After my last go-round with trying to make a slip dress jumper from McCall's 6696, I wanted to try it again, but this time not over-complicate it

well

not over-complicate it as much

because apparently I've turned into one of those middle-aged-lady sewing types who puts appliqués on everything.

Of course, when I think of that type of person, I think of 1990s graphics that wish they were Mary Engelbreit, and this is definitely not that.


 As usual, everything is drawn freehand, with the sizes determined by the fabric piece I wanted to use. I fused Wonder Under to the back, sketched the shapes, then folded things in half and cut things following the side of the sketch I liked better.  I refined the shapes some more after doing that, and I'm not entirely happy with where I stopped refining, but it's finished and that's what counts.

The slip fabric is, I'm pretty sure, pure polyester, with a slightly slubby texture that works well in a bias cut. (So much of my fabric stash, it turns out, features prints and textures that are not suitable for cutting on the bias.)

 I added pockets, borrowed from Simplicity 9153

 

 

I'm not so sure that pockets are suitable to bias cut things, either, but I'm not a fan of skirts or jumpers without pockets, so here we are.

I left the white thread in the serger, as a reference to bones and not because I didn't want to deal with changing the serger thread.  Sure.


   

 I pressed the hem up 2" and did a blind stitch with my sewing machine (which, yeah, I still haven't dealt with the cam stack sticking, so I take advantage of the Necchi 539's ability to control the zigzag on the fly and do an approximation of a blind hem stitch that way.)  For being polyester, it pressed up and accepted the stitches fairly well.

  

 

 I threw together some 3/8" double fold bias tape for the straps and to finish the top edges.  It's a little messy at the back, but it's fine.

   

 

Someday, I'll get the right hardware and make the straps adjustable, just because I think it'll look nice.

And the back!  


 
I did shorten the straps a little after taking the photos.

Goofy skull aside, this turned out better than the fully-lined attempt from before.  I think I'm done with this pattern for the moment, but I'm sure I'll return to it eventually.  Maybe someday I'll even make the shirt dress view that everyone buys this pattern for...

No comments:

Post a Comment