Monday, April 3, 2023

Serger Shakedown

 I have been cautiously using my serger with one needle since I tried to rectify its propensity to destroy the second needle when it was installed.  The serger seemed to be fine with the single needle, so I decided to go ahead and try a project with two needles...not that I had much shirt-appropriate knit fabric left after making all the T-shirts in February.

I finally settled on a heavy knit lace to make into a mock turtleneck for layering purposes.  After I cut that out, I looked at the amount of fabric left and decided to see if I could eke a tank top out of it, and that became the project used to test how the serger would behave with the left needle in place.

It behaved just fine! (although I still don't entirely trust it, so didn't run it at full speed.)

I originally thought I'd use self fabric as neckline and arm opening bands, as I usually do with New Look 6068 tank tops.  However, I'm not sure if I could have squeezed them out of what was left, and, also, this shirt is practically lingerie, so I decided to try using some lingerie elastic I've had for years.

I absolutely sewed the elastic on with the lockstitch machine, although I cleaned up the seams with the serger before top stitching with a narrow zigzag.  It's not perfect, but it works. 

Since I had classified this as "not really clothes," I [gasp] just serged the lower edge, with the left needle still in place.

Squeezing this out of the last bit of fabric meant that I had to eliminate a lot of width, and the back is noticeably narrower than the front.  I also used the serger's natural ¼" seams, to try to regain a smidge of width.

The fabric is sturdier than you might expect, and very stretchy, so it fits easily.

Will I ever wear it?  Well...not that the world would know.  But it did prove that the serger isn't prone to snapping the left needle constantly now, and that's what matters.


No comments:

Post a Comment