Sunday, February 5, 2023

Sponge Stardust Skeleton

 Going to start with the declaration that I do not, as of this post, own any fabric medium.  So, when I used the freezer paper bones left over from what I used to make the reverse appliqué rib cage shirt to paint a rib cage on another shirt, I knew it would end up...crunchy.

 

 

 When I originally drew and cut this stencil, I was not worrying about things being refined, in part because I originally used the pieces after they were cut out, so their positions could be tweaked.

They still ended up kinda crooked, but I credited that to the process I used on that other shirt.

This one, though, ended up a bit askew, too--yes, I marked the front center after cutting out the fabric, and aligned the vertebrae with that center front line, but the clavicles and ribs are still...uh...actively posing.


But the odd angles on the reverse appliqué shirt don't bother me when it's being worn, so the less extreme angles on this one won't bother me, either.

I did mix the paint with airbrush medium, because, yes, we have airbrush medium but not textile medium, so the paint isn't thick.  It's still crunchy, but it's not thick.  I applied it with a paint sponge, starting with white all over, then more random blue, purple, and pink.  The final paint application was white paint flipped off of an old toothbrush, for the star effect.

I let everything dry over night, then pressed (through a cloth) to help set the paint, then procrastinated assembling it for another day.

I used the New Look 6068/Kwik Sew 303 combination again, with the center back seam option, and the crewneck view...which I also altered by applying ribbing instead of turning the neckline to the inside as directed.

Kwik Sew 303's sleeves fit really well into the New Look armscyes, even with the intended differences in seam allowances.  I cut the largest option for the 303 sleeve, because that will--in theory--compensate for the seam allowance differences.  It seems to work!

I've also pretty firmly settled into finishing the hems by first serging the raw edges, then using the magnetic seam guide at ½" to fold the hem so the stitch is at ½" from the fold and the serging is aligned with the left side of the presser foot for the first time around, then I go around again to the left of the original stitch, at the distance of the right prong of the straight stitch foot, to make a mock cover stitch look from the outside.  I'm getting better at finding the right amount to stretch while sewing so the result isn't too loose or too tight.  Of course, having a real cover stitch machine would take care of all that...

Simple back, nothing there but the seam.


And, yes, in the last post, I ended by saying that maybe I'd make similar future shirts without decorating them.  That obviously didn't happen with this one.  Maybe the next?

No comments:

Post a Comment