Tuesday, February 28, 2023

Leaf Scarf

 Vincent Briggs recently shared a video tutorial for making a leaf-shaped head scarf, and here's my first try, in a style intended to be considerably looser and more casual.  I was hoping for MidCentury Vera style, but I'm nowhere near that ability, so this is what I ended up with

 

 

 I wanted more of an apple leaf shape, which isn't terribly different from the example's elm leaf.  I quickly drew the edges on some poster board, then sketched the veins and used a craft knife to cut guide marks.  I  transferred everything with tailor's chalk.

I made the facing with machine-sewn mitered corners--and, since it's me, I pressed the long edges under before sewing the miters or sewing the facing to the scarf.  Unusually for me, I did hand sew the pressed edge in place.  Don't look too close.

This also ended up making lumps that my paintbrush clearly highlighted--even though I was aiming for a loose look, it still annoys me.

But I did finally get some fabric medium!  So the paint went on smoothly.  I also pinned things to the cardboard work surface, so it would lay relatively flat while being painted.

If I make another try at this, I'd probably paint the veins (and maybe more flowers) before sewing anything to anything.  And I'd either do deeper serrations on the leaf edge, or make it completely flat, because I didn't mange to clip close enough to the inner points on any of these to get a clean turn.

This was still a fun project!



No comments:

Post a Comment