Sunday, May 22, 2022

Nope.

 I made this over the last few days and fought it every moment and it is not good.

Technically it's fine, and there's probably somebody who likes it, but that somebody is not me.

The basic idea is a revisit of McCall's 5451


  which I previously made three years ago.  And, despite making it too large, I did like that version!  So it's not a problem with the basic dress design, or the alteration of shortening the torso and not adding the waistline elastic.

Which means it's entirely the fabric.

But I want to emphasize, it's neat fabric!  A big border print in several colors I like (and yeah one color I do not like.)  And maybe it would have worked better with a different pattern, but I've been trying to figure out what pattern to use this print with for years (since the friend brought it in the relative's destash--thanks again!)

But.

This is the dress I made.

I chose size 12 this time, and the fit is fine, so I will definitely give this pattern another try.

The sleeves are drafted so they need no fiddling with ease to attach, which is always appreciated.

There wasn't enough of the fabric to cut the A-line skirt shape of the pattern, so I sewed big rectangles that I gathered to the waist, then pressed 3" up and did a blind hem

Since this is a border print, the bottom of the skirt is at the selvedge, so I did no further finishing on that

(and being border print means the fabric is entirely 90° off grain, and I know I just...didn't like the idea of that at all.)

And I used the pattern's pockets

I think I might have liked it more if the print didn't change so abruptly from the waist seam to the skirt--in retrospect, I could have moved the bodice pieces lower, so the daisies appeared on there, too


But I didn't and it's done and I don't like it.  A black skirt might actually look more harmonious with the print on the bodice, but I'm honestly not thrilled with the scale of that print on me, either.

I don't think it's a bad dress, it's just not a Me dress.

No comments:

Post a Comment