Sunday, May 22, 2022

Restrained Craft Shopping

 A friend wanted to visit a local creative reuse thrift store, which was having a sale this weekend on cloth and  sewing machines. (The friend was hoping I could help her choose a decent used sewing machine, and she went home with a lovely, recently serviced Singer 237 that had a case, a few extra feet, and the original manual.  The car sagged noticeably when that machine was placed in the back.)

I managed to only spend about $10!

...mostly courtesy of talking myself out of many by-the-pound cottons that were labeled as quilting cotton, but would have been a good weight for shirts. I limited myself to a three yard length of a lightweight cotton in a color I've wanted to make a shirt from for years, plus a fat quarter with a y2k print, which will end up as doll clothes and or a face mask for the kiddo


There was a bin of vinyl samples, which was also very tempting to just shovel into my basket, but I again restrained myself to a piece that looks like a good weight and texture to use for doll purses.  But.  Then. I noticed a roll of something very shiny at the bottom.

Very shiny and very irresistible. I found this same vinyl on a few sites sold in A4-size sheets, so this 8" x 54" piece is A Real Find.

I'm sure my button up shirt making enthusiasm will someday lead me to an elaborately-yoked Western style shirt, and now I'm equipped with the proper snaps for that eventuality.

...and...

Patterns.

They're 10¢ each, and I did limit myself to only 10 (I want to say there really weren't a lot more there that appealed to me, but I was being strict with myself.)

This one (Butterick 4676) I admit: the Young Designer label over the name Betsey Johnson amused me. Will I ever make anything from it?  Maybe?

McCall's 2073 is a nice basic pleated skirt

Speaking of button up shirt making, here's Simplicity 1538

I had Simplicity 5006 years ago and used the bustier for a Halloween costume (which, looking at PatternReview, costuming is popular use for this pattern.)  I'm sure it'll need adjustments to fit properly.

I was recently chatting with an online sewing friend about the late 70s/early 80s trend of froufrou Vaguely Victorian shirts (often worn with knickers), so that probably primed me for noticing Simplicity 5303

Oh, look, Simplicity 9757: another jumper pattern I had in the 1990s.  I remember making it once, from what I now know was a completely inappropriate fabric.  I hope I can choose better now.

Gonna be honest: I'm not sure why I chose Simplicity 9825?

Been thinkin' 'bout makin' cute pajamas again, so I grabbed Simplicity 9877

The appeal of Simplicity/Style 9401 was entirely in the Generic Wizard Robe Vibe of view A

There are several layers of RetroVintage to Style 1458.  I'm all about view 1.  Gonna need some big shoulder pads.


and I grabbed a few little crafty odds'n'ends 


because my restraint only goes so far.

Still, if my friend ever invites me along for a visit to this store again, I'm sure I'll accept (especially if I've managed to use any of the above items before then.)


No comments:

Post a Comment