Monday, April 22, 2024

And then I sewed these

 Yes, I made the previous post of doll clothes I'd sewn over the last few weeks, then spent the intervening time (that was posted on the 20th and today is the 22nd) sewing more doll clothes.

First I finished something that will be for sale, so it's not going to be in this post; it required filling a bobbin with a dark pinky plum thread, which I had originally bought specifically to sew the purple sequin fabric.  When I had cut out the doll dresses to sell, I also cut one (for my own dolls) from some of the purple sequin fabric, so I went ahead and sewed that

 (I also sewed the socks, a few projects later)

I still had most of a bobbin of pinky plum thread in the machine, so I decided to sew other things that could use it.  I started with this dress, very much inspired by the vintage Francie outfit called Tenterrific

I  tried measuring the pleats, but didn't like how they looked.  I know I could have made a pleating board, but...meh.  I pinched the pleats and pressed them, and they're good enough.

The original Tenterrific outfit has lace texture tights, and I tried making some with lace left over from this, but it looked odd on the Francie legs so I made another pair with this "too wide for this scale" striped purple.  The color is good, though, so they're fine. (This is the same fabric I used to make the socks on the doll in the sequin dress above.  The fabric has a nice sturdy edge that I knew would be good for the tops of doll socks.)

So then I had the very stretchy lace tights, and tried them on a body with larger feet and longer legs, and they fit very well. So! Time to make a dress to coordinate with them.

The lace and trim came out of the scrap bag, and probably took longer to choose than it took to sew the dress.

I made the sequin dress randomly, and wasn't sure which doll would wear it.  While I was looking through my boxes of dolls, I found several that I'd like to pay some attention to, in terms of changing their clothes.  Some of them, though, are a size that I don't have many clothes for, so those were going to involve sewing specifically for them

This doll has a body that's roughly, in the chest, the size of original Monster High dolls--but original MH torsos are very very long, so a lot of the things I've made for them won't fit dolls with shorter torso proportions.  This means I can use my G1 MH patterns as bases for their clothes.

 This dress turned out rather more 1990s than I expected.  And the bobbin of pinky plum ran out during that dress, so there's some dark purple in areas.

I did partially refill the bobbin with the pinky plum at one point, because I knew I wanted to sew a few more things with it.  At this time, though, I was ready to move on to a different color.  Now, yes, it was just the 'natural' I default to, but it was different.

The last dress is in that small size I don't really like sewing, but, because I don't like sewing that size, I don't have a lot of clothes in that size, so, sometimes, I need to sew it.  (I really should make random stuff in that size, but...)

And, yes, the socks are once more made from that lace.

I think I'm over this phase of sewing doll clothes now.







No comments:

Post a Comment