Sunday, October 29, 2023

Gray Hoodie

I made a quick hoodie for the kiddo a few years ago from double knit polyester, which you probably know isn't always the softest stuff, so, when I found a few yards of a french terry(ish) fabric in the Walmart mill end pre-cuts, I knew I'd use it to make a snugglier jacket for him.  Eventually.

(but first I used it for the sleeves on a jacket for me)

I used New Look 6766, modifying the pull-over hoodie into a zip-front hoodie, which is easy enough because the original pattern has a center front seam

I did shorten the pattern based on the length of zipper I had on hand. It's a bit dark, as is the thread I used, but it works.

The pattern originally also has a kangaroo pocket, but that would have required more thought, so my normal jacket side pockets it is.

I decided not to use ribbing for the waist and cuffs, which is actually in line with the pattern, so I knew there would be no issued with appropriate stretch.

Inside view, showing the white serger thread blending nicely. Also the texture inside, which is probably french terry, technically.

It slouches nicely, which I think the kiddo will like.  I'm not sure if he won't keep choosing the older green jacket, just because the fabric is more interesting.  I may offer to decorate this one more.

I handled the hood seam allowances by serging them together and stitching through all layers to one side.  No ambitious folding under the raw edges and stitching down, because that usually results in unhappy lumps.

Plenty of room to decorate, if he wants, or to leave gray and blend in, if he wants.



No comments:

Post a Comment