Sunday, October 8, 2023

Snapskirt

I recently realized that I can use grommet pressed four part spring snaps to close skirt waistbands instead of buttons.

And then I realized that I could use those snaps to replace all of the buttons on skirts like McCall's 7981

and I did!

I admit, it's not the straightest application of these snaps, but it's definitely something I'll do again in the future, both for this pattern and others.

I cut view C of this in size L (16-18.)  Due to fabric limitations, I reduced the length by 3".

I let it hang for longer than I intended before finishing the hem, because I got the latest covid vaccine and, while I am very happy I don't get the severe side effects that other people get, what I do get is extreme drowsiness.  Once that passed, the skirt went together in no time.

The pattern directs to turn up and stitch the hem at 5/8", and I initially thought I would do that.  I added a lining, which I planned to cut a little shorter and then finish the same way as the shell.  I finished all of the seams with the serger, since the loose lining would, theoretically, allow glimpses of the seams.  I did not bother to change out the white thread in the serger. 

But...then I had the idea to, more or less, bag the lining instead.  I still trimmed about a quarter inch off of the lining pieces after assembling them, then sewed the lining to the lower edge with a quarter inch seam allowance.  I flattened the lining and stitched again close to that, through all layers, to reinforce the small seam allowance, because this wool tweed is a bit loose and I don't want it to pull apart.

Then I applied the front bands in my usual way, followed by the waistband.  I did trim away some of the seam allowance at the parts of the waistband where the snaps would end up, just so I wouldn't have to fight with bulky fabric to get the snap parts in place.

The pattern is supposed to have a center back seam in the skirt, but I didn't quite have enough fabric to do that, so I cut the back on the fold, since the seam line is completely straight.

The pattern does have pockets, and I did include them! That's...like...the only thing about this pattern I didn't change!  I just forgot to photograph them.

I am very happy with the subtle purpleness of this fabric, and I probably will, someday, wear it with the floral motorcycle jacket I just made.


No comments:

Post a Comment