Friday, October 13, 2023

Flannelskirt

 I have used New Look 6843 many times, and it is a good basic set of skirts, with two variations on A-line--one in two lengths--and two lengths of sheath skirt, going up to size 18.  So, why would I use Simplicity 9815 for a short sheath skirt instead?

Now, the last time I made a shortened version of it, I went with the size 20, which isn't an option with the New Look. But, size 18? And making it shorter than either view offered?  Well...I really don't know why I did.

In retrospect, it's nice that there are only two darts on the Simplicity back, instead of the New Look's four, and, also, the Simplicity's waistband is much wider than the New Look's, which made fastening the button a lot easier than it tends to be in the little narrow waistband on the New Look.  But, again, those are things I hadn't realized when I decided to make this skirt from the Simplicity instead of the New Look. I'm still not sure why I chose the Simplicity for this, but I did, and it turned out great.

The fabric is a heavy cotton flannel that I got from the craft thrift store in August, and it was lovely to work with

The stitches just sink into this fabric, which results in a blind stitched hem that completely disappears, which is always appreciated.

The fabric is double faced, but there was never any question that I wouldn't have the plaid side out

All of the seams are finished with white serger thread--I'm sure I have thread that would have matched better, but using the white that was already in the machine means it's done.  And I lined it, as I do with most of the skirts I make, so the serging is for my own peace of mind. 

As I mentioned before, the New Look's waist band is very narrow, which usually results in buttonholes that are really hard to get a button through if I'm not very careful about sizes--and, yes, now I have the option of using four part snaps on that little waistband instead of buttons, it's nice that the width of this waistband allowed for the use of a nice large button

I made the hem 2½" deep instead of the pattern's 1¼", and that was after shortening the skirt 3" while cutting, so I was able to eliminate the rear vent (which is something else that sets this pattern apart from the New Look.  Or, it would, if I had made it.)


There has been a definite color range in the last few things I've made.  I'm not ready to commit to a limited palette, but it's definitely in my cloth stash if I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment