Sunday, July 30, 2023

Varsity Plaid

 I suspect this is something Teenage Me would have adored.

The base pattern is, once again, the jacket from New Look 6120, modified by merging the button front from Simplicity 8175.  However, this time, I used snaps, applied with the big green grommet press, like the last bomber jacket I made.  I do love crunching down those snap parts.

The plaid fabric was a slightly odd shape remnant, from the free table at the craft re-use thrift store.  There was just enough to eke out the not-quite full-length front and back pieces, with the lower extensions by the waist band being cut separately.

...which is a lot easier to sew around than having to turn that right angle the way it's supposed to be made.  And, even with the limited yardage, I was able to get the pattern matching passably close all across the front!  And on one shoulder (that was a pure accident.)

I had a few choices for gray knit to use for the sleeves, and went with this Walmart mill-end pre-cut "3 yards for $8" heathered french terry. Very synthetic.  (I will use the rest of it for its intended purpose of making clothes for the kiddo.  Someday.)  I used fabric cut off of a T-shirt (not sure if I did that T-shirt cutting, or if it was like that when I acquired it) for the bands.  Since it's not rib knit, it's not as stretchy as it ideally should be, but it works.

There was enough of the plaid to cut the upper inside layer of the pockets, but I needed something else for the other side.  I decided not to overthink and went with medium-weight black lining fabric.

And I remembered to serge the edges of the pocket bag before stitching them to the jacket front, because there's no lining to hide raw edges.

I even changed the serger thread! Mostly because I was going to make some shirts from dark pink knit, and red is the closest cone thread color option I have.  I decided to make this jacket so I'd have one more project to justify the hassle of changing the thread.

I just did a burn test on the plaid fabric.  It feels synthetic, but I used high heat when pressing and nothing melted, so maybe not.  The burn test was not helpful, so that at least confirms it's a blend of some sort.  Maybe I can even convince myself it's a silk blend...

No comments:

Post a Comment