Thursday, September 7, 2023

Relatively Quick Pink Shirt

More craft thrift store fabric, another modified Burda 7831, changed up a bit with some lace from deep within the stash

Everything was straightforward, although not necessarily cooperative.  Looking at you, lace.

It's not as even as it could be, but it's more even than it was, after I picked things apart and re-sewed them.  I only fiddled with the lace on the lower side, picking out the placket edge stitching and most of the lace basting and compressing it gently so the top edge was a little closer to even with the top of the lace on the upper side.  Then I basted it back down, with the rest of the placket folded around to the back to the underside of the basting stitch would be on the to-be-encased seam allowance. After that, I pinned the pressed edge of the placket in place and stitched the edge down again...then picked out a few inches that had wandered a few millimeters over, exposing the edge of the undecorative edge of the lace.  I did not pick out and re-sew that entire pressed edge, because it was on the button side of the shirt front, so would be concealed while being worn.

I do have pink thread that would have matched the fabric well, but I was intent on white top stitching and white lace and white buttons.

The fabric is a very lightweight chambray, so it includes a lot of white yarns itself, anyway.

The sleeve hems were pressed, as always, before the sleeves were attached to the shirt.  The front bottom hem was also pressed early in construction, before the front bands. That allows me to sew the bottom ends of the front bands in a way that completely encases everything, meaning no awkward folded edges to deal with.

As mentioned in the previous post, I did change the serger thread, so the near future will be filled with many things that can work with white serged edges.

I did very much consider adding more lace and lace appliques on the front and back, leaning heavily toward assembling a skull from various lace trims, but I decided...no.

Which means it's done!


No comments:

Post a Comment