Sunday, September 10, 2023

Cool Splat Sweatshirt

Here's another project made (mostly) with fabric gleaned from the last trip to the craft thrift store.

This one's for the kiddo!

I once again used Kwik•Sew 1650, cut in size 14.  The kiddo may technically be larger than kid size 14 now, but he is very skinny and this 1987 pattern is very baggy.

The teal color in the print is greener than it appears in these photos on my monitor, but the ribbing is still greener than that.  It was in my stash already and it was good enough.

Honesty, if I had been able to choose any color for the ribbing, I think I would have gone with lime green, to honor the undeniable 1990sness of the print.

I did a line of edge stitching on the shoulder seams and around the neckband, but left the sleeve seams alone.  This pattern has ¼"/6mm seam allowances, and that really helps the shoulder seams go in smoothly.

The cuffs were no problem, but the width of the tubular ribbing was several inches shorter than the waistband pattern piece wanted.  I could have pieced it, but it was just stretchy enough to wrestle into place as it was.

No picture of the back because it looks almost exactly like the front.

I always forget how incredibly fast a sweatshirt with ribbing on every edge sews together.  I did do construction on the lock stitch machine, using the serger only to neaten the seam allowances--it would have been even quicker on the serger alone, but I didn't want to change the serger thread again (it's currently white, which would probably have been obvious at the seams), and I also still don't trust my serger not to mangle the left needle when it's in.  Still fast!


No comments:

Post a Comment