Sunday, September 10, 2023

Continuing the Very 1990s Sweatshirt Theme

This time it used two fabrics from the last visit to the craft thrift store: an innocuous rib knit and an "I never would have worn anything even remotely like this back then" 1990s sweatshirt fleece, and I combined them both with McCall's 5070, an "I wouldn't've worn this back then, either" 1987 raglan sleeve sweatshirt pattern.

...and I'm honestly not sure if I'll wear it now, either

Part of my issue now is that I'm not fond of things being as roomy as they were in the 1980s into early 1990s--even though this is cut in size small (10/12), it's incredibly generous.  The last  time I made it, I took out width in the arms and length in the torso.  This time, though, I decided to go all-in on being 'historically accurate.'

I do feel like I should have second-guessed the mock turtleneck collar and cut a few inches off of the length--as it is, it barely had to stretch to fit the neck opening, meaning it's...not as snug as the pattern illustration makes it look like it's going to be

(note how the solid colors on the pattern illustration coordinate pretty well with the colors in the print I used.  Period accurate.)

I will say, when I first tried this on, the collar almost looked like a cowl, but I later realized that was because I had the front pulled down too far, because the lack of shoulder seams meant I didn't have a clear reference where things should be.

When I tried it on again and wiggled things around, the collar was less disappointing.

My bigger problem was that my decision to cut the torso in the longer length option meant that I had to take a significant amount of length out of the sleeves to make them fit.  Oops. They're an OK length when I wiggle things around again and hold my arms still.

They are, however, fantastic when pushed up a bit as shown in the illustrations.  Period accurate!  The part of me that remembers the late 80s/early 90s thinks a low-slung wide belt would look great over this, too (even though the Me that existed back then would not have worn anything this casual.)

Once again, construction happened on the lock stitch machine, in coordinating pink thread, with the serger tidying up the seam allowances.  The white serger thread probably would have been fine for construction on this pale fabric, but I still don't trust my serger to be kind to that left needle.

This was still a super fast project, because raglan sleeves are so much easier to sew than set-in sleeves, (even set-in sleeves as flat as other roomy sweatshirt patterns have.)  So fast did it sew together that the excess confidence inspired by the ease of raglan sleeve attachment that meant I had to pick out every sleeve seam once I realized I had sewn the wrong things to each other didn't keep me from finishing this in one evening.

Now to see if I ever wear it.


No comments:

Post a Comment