Friday, September 9, 2022

Super Simple Sparkle Skirt

 I have had this small amount of big confetti dot fabric since the early 2000s 


 And since I finally used the (much newer) zombie knit, I decided why not go ahead and use this, too, and for something fast and easy...and, due to the nature of the fabric, it would also be something Unwise

While the tulle star shirt showed that I am not averse to making more complicated things from novelty fabrics, I also understand that not everything has to showcase my sewing abilities

This skirt is literally a series of tubes.

The fabric had been folded for so long--even when I bought it--that there was a definite line of slightly wider spacing between the glued-on shinies at the fabric center, so I cut along that line, and then cut away the un-foiled edges (leaving a bit as seam allowance) to make the identical front and back pieces, which I then used as the pattern to cut two pieces of thrifted green knit to make the lining.

The original idea was to make the lining hang free like the lining on a woven skirt, but I thought about it during dinner and realized that, nah, it would be easier all around to just cut the lining a bit shorter and sew the shell directly to it.  I cut about 2" off of the lining then sewed the shell and then the lining each together at their side seams.  I tried to keep the shell stitching between rows of dots, with varying amounts of success

 

This also meant I could use a ball point needle for the knit part without needing to worry much about whether it was appropriate for the foil parts or not.  I know I did sew through some dots, but not enough to have any problems (including a lovely lack of adhesive building up on the needle.)

 I like big confetti dot not only because the foil dots are larger, but also because they're in a grid instead of offset, which also sets it apart from the more common form of confetti dot. (What I really like about confetti dot is the base fabric, the knit with metallic threads; the dot cheesiness is its own thing.)

The shell and lining tubes were placed right-side-together and attached with a long (but narrow, pfft, you think I was going to swap out my straight stitch foot for this?) zigzag.  I didn't pin them as thoroughly as I should have...well, or, really, at all, and I hadn't stretched things exactly as needed and had to pick out some of the stitching and re-sew, making sure to stretch enough.

When the top edges were aligned, a natural fold formed at the bottom, creating some semblance of a proper hem.

(Yes, there is one visibly missing dot.  It's fine. It's Vintage.)

I could have folded everything at the top to the inside and made an elastic casing that way, but I felt like the potential of confetti dot against skin was not good, from a sensory perspective, so I cut a strip of the green knit--initially a waist-sized strip, before realizing that probably wouldn't be practical for putting on, so I re-cut a strip the same size as the skirt top.  I stitched the ends, leaving a bit open for elastic insertion, then folded it wrong-sides together and pinned it to the right side of the shell, which was itself pinned to the lining, and zigzagged it together.  The serging to finish that edge is the only serging in the entire project.

I could have made the band narrower, or possibly used wider elastic, or two channels of it, but,again, this was meant to be a low effort project, so I just inserted one piece of ¾" knit elastic and was done with it.


And, look: a picture of it being worn!


It is, being knit, rather form-fitting, and I am not happy with my form around the waist area, so there's little chance it will be worn, in the foreseeable future, without something longer and looser on top.  The lining fabric gives it a nice weight that means I just might indeed wear it.  I'll need to make appropriate shirts to wear it before winter, though, because this sweater is currently all I have that I feel is long enough, and it was worn solely for photos on this warm September day.

Incidentally, I also made the beret, the tights, and the pin.


No comments:

Post a Comment