Wednesday, September 28, 2022

Roll the Die: Patch Waist B

 

Patch Waist B: Waist once again means a waist cincher-y thing derived from Simplicity 5006.  This time "patch'' means "patchwork" and B means "from the scrap Bag" (yeah I know it's a reach.)

The scrap bag in question is filled with bits of pink, red, turquoise, blue, and green. (I have other scrap bags with other themes, yes.)  A slight issue is that a lot of the scraps were saved with the idea I'd use them for doll patchwork, but I wanted to keep this project from skewing toward pieces that were really small, so it took extra time to tease out larger scraps.

The process of choosing pieces, squaring them up, roughly arranging them against the pattern pieces, and sewing them together into approximate shapes (using an extremely small stitch length so the seams could be cut without unraveling much) took about 4 hours (with breaks.)

The next morning, I pressed everything and cut the panels with the pattern pieces, then constructed the waist cincher/fancy belt as usual.

There were no surprises in making these, especially since the strength layer/underlining worked to make smooth boning channels, no need to fight with the patchwork seam allowances.

I used the same calico for lining as the previous patch waist project--not for any symbolic reasons connecting these two projects, but just because there was enough of it and the faded areas meant I didn't really want to use it for anything visible.  I made the bias tape randomly when I got my first bias tape maker--I really like the color combination in the print, and the drawing style of the graphics, but it's an incredibly dated (and random fabric grab bag thrifted) Eiffel Tower print, so I like how turning it into bias tape obscures that.



This is probably the silliest one of these Roll The Die projects, but I'm glad I tried out the idea, no matter how Unwise it may be






No comments:

Post a Comment