Wednesday, September 7, 2022

Test Shirt: Zombie

 I traced off the pattern from the previous post and swung out the dart and decided to make this test version from the novelty 'zombie' knit I got (on clearance) from JoAnn years ago

I had held on to that fabric for a very long time, not really knowing what to make from it.  So I decided, enh, might as well use it for this.  I figured I'd use a coordinating knit for the sleeves, but there was just enough of it to finagle the sleeves, too!

There was plenty left to have made the neckband, too, but this is not a super stretchy knit, so I dipped into my stash of "neckbands cut off of T-shirts used for other purposes" and found a faded black piece of ribbing that was good enough.

As with the previous version of this shirt, I didn't press any of the hems and used the fabric's stripes and the magnetic seam guide to keep things...somewhat consistent.

The upper arm area of the sleeves is a bit snug, but I'll have to wear it for a while to know if it's annoyingly so.  Of course, the pure synthetic content of this means I will be very hesitant to wear it, but it still serves its primary purpose of letting me know if the bust dart elimination worked or not.  And I don't worry about the sleeve snugness because stretchier fabrics will counter that. 

This fabric ranges from semi sheer to very sheer, so it will definitely be a layering piece.  if I ever do wear it.

I did the usual offset of the ribbing seam with the left shoulder seam.  But!  This was the first time that I realized that I could mark the neckline and ribbing in quarters; in the past, I'd only marked the center front and center back and then just...sorta...estimated where the neckband would line up with the shoulder seams and pinned there.  Folding the neckline in quarters was a bit odd, but it seemed to have worked well, and I suspect this is something that has been so obvious to so many people that it just generally never gets mentioned--which lead to me making it too complicated instead.

The lack of stretch in this fabric makes me feel like a stretchier fabric with reduced stretchiness--due to the reverse appliqué--will work well.  Whenever I get around to doing that.

No comments:

Post a Comment