Monday, November 13, 2023

Purple Flannel Herringbone Blazer

After I finished the Halloween patchwork blazer, I wanted to give Butterick 4610 another try--specifically to see if the sleeves eased into the armscyes easier with a more appropriate fabric.

And it seems they do!

There's still more ease than I like to deal with, but it worked in fairly well, and without any of the struggle and improvisation needed for the Halloween project.

I did gain a bit of armscye length on each side when I noticed that there were marks on the empire seam that seemed to indicate that the side front piece wasn't supposed to make it all the way to the arm opening.  Whether that interpretation is correct or not, it helped.

As usual, I ignored the pattern's indication of where the button was supposed to go and juts put it in a suitable place.  It may be a bit high. It's fine.

The button is of unknown provenance--the center piece is a bit bluer than the purple of the fabric, but, the farther away you get, the better it coordinates.

I also cut everything in straight size 14 and made the front darts, instead of hedging the size like I did in the Halloween project.

But I still didn't add the patch pockets. (I did consider welt pockets.  Maybe in the future.)

I was ambivalent about this project, so I decided not to use any of my dwindling supply of actual lining fabric for the lining.  This is a thrifted crinkle nylon (I did a burn test to confirm) that I've had for ages.

I know the purpose of lining is to provide a smooth surface to glide over the inner layers of clothing.  This is close.

Another design feature I skipped on the Halloween project and included on this is the canter back seam.  It adds nominal shaping and a little more visual interest.

The more suitable fabric has definitely redeemed this pattern, although it's still not perfect.  It goes together fast, though, so I'll probably make it again sometime.  Unless I find a more complicated blazer pattern to try...



No comments:

Post a Comment