Wednesday, November 29, 2023

Gengar Square

Another favor asked of a friend, another thing sewn as thanks (along with a thing baked as additional thanks, since friend's spouse also helped.)

I made it in a rush last night, and it definitely is, let's say, charmingly off-model (even aside from the squareness) But! There's no question that it's Gengar.

 

I used Wonder Under to fuse some knits to embroidery stabilizer.  I'm honestly not sure why I decided to use knits for the face appliqués, but it was such a solid decision that I didn't even think about how I could have used wovens until after I had finished it.  I still would have fused those to the embroidery stabilizer, too.

Once things were fused together, I trimmed edges and marked the tooth lines and pupil placement with chalk (I drew one pupil and then placed the other face-to-face with that and pressed, and the chalk transferred just enough to see.)  I zigzagged the tooth lines in the mouth and appliquéd the pupils--made of more knit fabric--onto the eyes.  I had originally planned to put the eyes on at a less extreme angle, so the pupils are aligned for that.  Ah, well.

Then I folded the purple plush in half and used two pins to mark the center, and aligned the center tooth line with that, pinned it, and zigzagged around the edges.  I did all the zigzagging at least twice, sometimes using reverse to go back and fill in thin areas as I went.

The fist eye went on with no problem, but the second I stopped a little bit into the first round of zigzagging because it was a markedly different angle.  I very carefully picked out the zigzagging, re-positioned the eye, put a lot of pins in it, then sewed it on more successfully.

I used a Halloween ghost camouflage print for the back, and it's stuffed with a few layers of batting, because I am completely out of polyfil.


Do I say, every time I do appliqué after not having done appliqué for a while, how I forget how much I like doing appliqué?

No comments:

Post a Comment