Monday, November 13, 2023

Floral Knit Shirt

 After making the dress from the thrifted English chintz print cotton interlock, I had enough left to make a shirt.  I mixed aspects of views A, B, and C/D from New Look 6068 plus the sleeves from KwikSew 303 and ended up here

I was happy that I could center the print motif on this

I'm still not thrilled with lots of yellow, but it's acceptable here.

And I am still very happy with how well the early 1970s Kwik Sew sleeves, with their intended ¼"/6mm seams, fit into the early 2000s New Look armscye when sewn with 5/8" / 16mm seam allowances.

Although...it's possible the sleeves may be a touch short.  I'll have to try to remember to pay attention when I wear this, and then make a note on the pattern if needed.

I sewed the sleeve and bottom hem at ½"/12mm, and skipped my usual approach of stitching again to simulate a cover stitch.

I still had white thread in the serger, which works fine on the inside of this print.  I did all the construction with the lock stitch machine, anyway, so the serging was just to make things look nice.

Limited remaining fabric meant I couldn't be too picky about how the print interacted with the center back seam.  It worked out fine.

And I am amused that the turtleneck collar width is just a bit over the width of the print repeat.  Nothing I could have done about that!

I still have bits of this fabric, most likely to be used for doll clothes.  Eventually.


No comments:

Post a Comment