Thursday, August 10, 2023

Surfluorescent

 I have made only T-shirts and sweatshirts for the kiddo over the last few years, to the point where I wasn't even sure if he would like the feeling of wearing a button-up woven shirt, but, oh, the tacky loud possibilities available in printed cotton broadcloth, right? 

So I showed him this

and asked if he'd like a shirt made from it. Of course he would.

So I grabbed McCall's 6613 and finagled out just about everything needed to make a short sleeve small

He's wearing it now.

The only bits I needed to cut from another fabric were the inside yoke and the inside collar stand, both of which are perfectly normal to make from contrast fabrics, so it doesn't even, necessarily, look like I didn't have enough fabric.

And I don't know how much of this fabric I had--I got it years ago in a thrift store fabric grab bag, and I did not measure it before I started cutting.  I was, perhaps, over confident, even though it turned out fine.

This was the first time I used the short sleeve option for this pattern.  I thought it looked longer in the illustrations, but I made it without modification and it turned out a nice length.

If this pattern didn't have the front bands, I could have pattern matched, because the print elements are so large; as it is, I still roughly aligned the motifs when cutting, just so there still wouldn't be obvious repeats of entire dudes on either side of the front opening, which would have happened if I had aligned the selvedges and put the front pattern piece edges against those.  I offset the fabric a bit, and that ended up leaving a nice strip of fabric I could use to make the front bands. The front band pieces were cut shorter than the pattern calls for, but it worked out for the way I do bands.

Yes, Green Background Guy's knees do repeat a lot around the front, but my options for dealing with the print placement were limited.

As with the fabric used in the previous shirt, I'd guess that whoever had originally bought this had gotten it at a reduced price, because there are print flaws.  However, in this print, they only show up on the back of the fabric, so I didn't have to work around them for this project.

If this pattern did not have a yoke, and if it did not have the option to cut that yoke on the cross grain, there would have been no way to make it work with the yardage I had (even without also being able to cut the inner yoke from a different fabric.)

I did do the burrito method for attaching the yoke, and I'm at the point where I don't need to look up how to do it.

The fabric is heavier than shirtweight, although it doesn't exactly feel like quilting cotton, either.  Going by the print, I would say this fabric is from the late Eighties to early Nineties, and I'm pretty sure I had shirts back then made from heavier-than-shirtweight woven cotton, and part of the point of them was that they got softer with wear and washing.

And, yes, the print is very much black light reactive.




No comments:

Post a Comment