Thursday, August 24, 2023

Gengar-inspired Thanks

 Went with the friend to the craft thrift store again today--I wanted to bake something as thanks, but the forecast was for Ridiculously Hot today, and I worried that any food stored in the car would essentially be an incubator for any untoward pathogens that might have found their way onto it.  So I decided to sew something instead.

Friend is a Gengar fan, and we had also recently been discussing the relative lack of sequins in this friend's wardrobe, so this was a given.

If I had red ribbing, I may have used that, to enhance the Gengariness, but this pale pink works.

I used Stretch & Sew 1027, which I have modified specifically to use for gift jackets for this friend in the past.  The black fabric is most of what was left from making the bias cut slip dress with the skull appliqué.  The pink ribbing is from that previous trip to the craft thrift store (I have now used six different fabrics from that trip.)  The sequin fabric is from my (at present) only Fabric Mart order.

And I once again had fun crunching the snap fastener parts together with the grommet press.

It's definitely not a tool I use a lot, but it is so nice to have when I do want to do this kind of snap.  (Bonus points for being so much quieter than ah hammer, too.)

I am getting better at remembering to serge the pocket gabs together, to finish the exposed (on the interior) edges before sewing everything to the front.  I probably could sew the pocket bags top each other and let them hang free inside the jacket, but you know me and top stitching.

I made this entirely yesterday, from choosing which black fabric and ribbing (I knew I was using the purple sequins from the start) through cutting and assembling.  If I had given myself more time, I might have attempted a Gengar appliqué for the back.  As it is, I encourged my friend to go ahead and cover it with Gengar stuff. (even though it's the wrong purple. it's still purple.  and sparkle.)



No comments:

Post a Comment