Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Whole Kettle of Skirt

 My last post was a pair of pants I made with fabric left from making a blanket.

And then I looked at the fabric left from the pants and thought...hmm...is there enough to make a skirt?

The answer is yes (provisionally)

If you saw my shirt post a few days ago, you can probably recognize that "asymmetrical design detail" = "fabric wasn't wide enough, had to improvise"

I cast about for a while, looking at various lace and trims in my stash that I might apply to make the piecing seam look intentional, and it actually took a while before I thought...oh! I still have the bias tape I made from this cloth for the blanket binding, I can appliqué a strip...no.  I can make piping.

I used the same synthetic cord (salvaged from drawstring bags I bought for their fabric) that I used to make the piping on the cheater print skirt.  I used New Look 6843 for both of these skirts, too.

I did have to sacrifice some length to use the remaining fabric, but, as I think I've mentioned before, I have short legs, so a slightly shorter skirt isn't generally a problem.

I also used more of the leftover bias tape to finish the skirt hem in a way that used very little of the shell fabric, but still gave enough width inside to make a blind hem.

I'm sill getting the hang of lapped zippers, and a white thread probably would have worked better, but neither the visible zipper errors and fixes nor the starkly darker thread are enough to make unhappy with this project.

So this brings us to the end of "enough of this blue gray kettle cloth left to make big things"

but I still have more than enough for smaller projects (will definitely make a few pieces of doll clothes), and I also have a few yards of a salmon-y kettle cloth--which is less one of My Colors (the skirt in this post goes so well with pinks and purples) but should be easy to work with.  The internet tells me that kettle cloth hasn't been made since the 1970s; fabric was made to be used, it just has to be patient.


No comments:

Post a Comment