Monday, April 11, 2022

Test Pants

 It's almost time for the kiddo to have to leave the house for end of the year standardized testing.  As a remote learning student, he has gladly adopted the "pajama pants all day" lifestyle, and, as a teenager, he also has significantly longer legs than he had the last time I made him a pair of "wear out of the house" pants.  So! Time to make a quick pair of pants.

I probably could have used kid-sized KwikSew 2544 again, or even KwikSew 1650, since his waist measurement is still very slim, but I decided to go ahead and use the view B pants from New Look 6766


  as long as possible, and with suitably small amounts of elastic

(the elastic is actually fairly stretched to fit the hanger there)

In a rare move for me, I made the patch pockets the pattern had, instead of...well, anything more complicated. 

I pressed all of the folded pocket edges using the EzyHem to measure depth, and doing a little mitering on the inside of those outer corners.

I also pressed the hems with the EzyHem, after sewing the outseams but before sewing the inseams.

As usual, I edge stitched and then top stitched in loads of places where the pattern never intended.  I also deviated from the pattern expectations by using a woven instead of a knit for the legs (it's the kettle cloth left over from the gift blanket I made last year.)  I did use a knit for the waistband, thinking that would be more comfortable.  The pattern calls for 1½" wide elastic, but I sewed a channel lengthwise down the center and used two pieces of ¾" elastic instead.  Hoo, inserting elastic into close-fit channels in a knit is...frustrating (everything stretches! everything!)  Oh, I also cut the waistband as a single piece, instead of cutting the pattern piece twice to make a separate front and back like the pattern wants.  I also didn't bother with the drawstring.

I mean, despite that, I feel like I followed the pattern closely!

There's absolutely nothing going on on the back


So it all went together very quickly and smoothly, and I'll probably use this pattern again, using the entire size range to make sleep pants for Husband and for me

or maybe just to make another pair of pants for when the kiddo has to leave the house for school tests next year.



No comments:

Post a Comment