Wednesday, March 9, 2022

Aubergine Skirt Revisited

So, last year, I made a skirt using a free Lekala 3 Seam Skirt pattern that I'd gotten when my measurements were larger. I really like the color and fabric, so I decided to partially disassemble it and use New Look 6843 to re-sew it in my current size.

I didn't touch the back darts, center back seam, zipper, and where I sewed the lining to the zipper.  Everything else got picked apart, including the vent below the center back seam, and I did leave a few inches of waistband attached at one end.

 I know it looks pretty much the same, but I think I took out about 4" at the waist, going by the bit of excess waistband I ended up cutting off.

I had hoped I could get away with just altering things at the waist and upper side seams, but the skirt side seam angles meant I had to completely re-cut the sides and hem.

But things still went quickly!  Especially since I didn't take a whole lot of care in trying to keep the lining from looking like it had been picked apart and reused.  A lining just needs to line. 

I used the same "doesn't really match at all" purple thread, but I managed to make a much more innocuous blind hem this time than the first time I made this particular skirt.

As mentioned, I eliminated the back vent. I think this is the longest version of the slim view of New Look 6843 I've made yet, but the pattern doesn't call for a vent, so I happily closed up that clunky lazy vent I'd made before.


I doubt I'll drop any more sizes, but, if I do, I now know it'll be easy enough to alter any of the New Look 6843 skirts.

No comments:

Post a Comment