Thursday, September 9, 2021

Well, there's that

 So.  Early last month, probably after I made the Halloween Swirl Skirt and before I made the bright print jelly roll race patchwork blanket top, I still had enough of that black and green Govinth print to cut the pieces for a new-to-me simple shell shirt pattern I'd gotten from eBay

So I cut that out and set it aside for over a month.

Vintage size 16, modern 14, B36: the size I'm supposed to use.

Yeah.

About that.

The 4" of ease this thing has is...a lot more generous than what I usually go for.

But.

I didn't figure that out until after it was finished.

I added some darts and tucks, because I was hoping I could emulate vintage Simplicity 3263, a pattern I thrifted and used happily before I gained weight, then sold because I figured I'd never get anywhere  near fitting into it again (and furthermore figured I wouldn't get close enough to make grading a practical option.)  I've been looking at options for re-purchasing it (including the literal exact copy I owned, made distinct by the writing on the envelope), but they're all Very Small, so I'm still thinkin'

And I thought, hey, surely it wouldn't be too much of a problem to add darts to a looser-fitting shell pattern, eh?  And maybe it wouldn't be, but, like I said, I didn't count on how much looser-fitting this one would be.

I added two sets of shallow tucks to the front

and a regular set of darts to the back.

I decided that adding shaping to the waist area meant I should also add a side zipper, since the shirt I was trying to emulate also had a side zipper.  (I know some vintage sewing types don't like side zippers at all?  They're probably a lot more trouble to maneuver through in a dress than in a shirt like this, though.)  I wanted the zipper to be lapped, and I haven't installed enough lapped zippers to have the method memorized, so I usually refer to the instructions with Coats & Clark zippers.  The zipper I chose for this project was a vintage Lightning zipper, which also had lapped zipper instructions, and maybe it was the fact that the illustrations are a bit bigger than the C&C illustrations (same salmon color scheme, though)


but I had an Ah-ha! moment about something I had apparently tended to do wrong, and the zipper installation went fine this time.


And here's the back 

and I probably really should take it in at the side seams, but that would require picking out and re-installing the zipper and...I'm not sure if that wouldn't take another month to get around to...


No comments:

Post a Comment