Sunday, August 8, 2021

Jelly Roll Race with neither Jelly Rolls nor Racing, Again

 I dove into the "small yardage for doll clothes, maybe" dresser and chose a lot of larger pieces of roughly (very roughly) coordinating prints that were either a scale I don't always want to use for doll clothes (including pieces left over from human-size sewing projects), or that work fine for doll clothes, but I've had in the stash for years and my sewing styles have moved on.

I ripped the fabrics into 2½" strips, not caring at all about lengths, and assembled them with the jellyroll race method of sewing them all together end-to-end (choosing to make the seam angled, but that's personal preference) to create an unwieldy, long strip which is then folded in half, right sides together,and stitched long one edge.  Cut through the fold at the end, flatten, fold it all right-sides together, sew along one edge, cut the folded end open, and repeat until it's 50"+ long.

 This one ended up at 58" x 30" wide, which is not quite as long and not nearly as wide as it would have been if I had used either an actual jelly roll or had measured the strips to make sure I had an equivalent amount of fabric strips.

It's fine.


I know I could get more width and length if I added a border, but, for now, it's just going into the stash of "potential quit tops I made to use up fabric"


You don't make a jelly roll race if you're not OK with wildly random print placement, although I imagine using an actual jelly roll--or at least picking more intentionally coordinated fabrics, like I did with the gift quilt--would make things less likely to end up with three of the same so close, and not well-distributed elsewhere, like this.

Like I said, it's fine.

I also used this project to empty several partly-filled bobbins of random colors, and remembered to make the stitch length very very short, so the stitches would be less likely to unravel at the cut ends


 We'll see how it's held up once I figure out what to actually do with it.

This barely made  dent in my small yardage fabric stash, so I'm sure I'll do another again, sometime.


No comments:

Post a Comment