Sunday, September 12, 2021

More stashbusting with another jellyroll-less, unhurried race

 Straightforward project, very tedious. Like the last no jelly roll, no race project, I used a lot of fabric from the small yardage stash and measured nothing except the 2½" widths to make cuts so I could tear the cloth into strips.  Some of the fabric was the full 45"(ish) width, some was not...which meant it was surprising how many of the seams between strips ended up almost right next to each other.

In an effort to keep this from being a whole lot wider than long, I cut off a length after four rows had been sewn, to put that strip at the bottom to make it a bit longer.  I thought I had cut off enough to make the final item square, but, no.  I had a headache that made mathing hard while I was working on this.

It ended up 69" long by 78" wide, with the strips running horizontally,and, no I don't feel like I could turn it vertical and have it work, because some of the prints are very directional.  Of course, due to the nature of this kind of piecing, their directions alternate, but they're not sideways.

I can think of a few options to make it at least square if I ever finish it, which...yeah.  As it is, I was so happy to be done sewing and sewing and sewing long strips (with the stitch length set very very short, so the stitches would hold up when cut, but, oof, does that make it take so much longer to sew) that I haven't even pressed it.

And I did have to stop, brush out a mound of lint, and oil everything partway through this. My machine may only be a 1980s Necchi, but it is still a Necchi, and it very definitely lets you know when it needs to be oiled.

You can really tell that a lot of this is deep stash fabric, much of which was sourced from thrift stores, meaning it comes from deep within other people's stashes, because the result is a finished piece that, by color alone, is rather 1990s lookin'

It's fine.

(My small yardage stash, however, still looks very crowded, even after assembling two blanket tops--of varying sizes--from it. Might be time for another Halloween print patchwork project...)


No comments:

Post a Comment