Thursday, June 10, 2021

Hostess Gift

 So I visited a friend today--both of us fully vaccinated, surrounded by tiny dogs and a large fluffy cat--and I prepared a hostess gift, although this probably would technically qualify as a Bad Hostess Gift, because Proper Hostess Gifts don't involve asking for chest measurements

Yes, it's another Simplicity 9153 with a modified neckline.  This friend likes tunic style things, and when I thrifted this cloth yeas ago, said how much she liked that, too.  At the time, my reaction was "No! Mine!" but I obviously mellowed on that point and here we are.

I had hoped there would be enough to make the entire dress from the tropical print, but there was not, and I dove into my stash and quickly found a small bit of homespun that was just enough to round out this dress (although the pockets are a little narrow.)

Most of the dress is sewn with black thread, and I switched to a pink in the top for areas of visible stitching.  I did my usual "press the sleeve hems before sewing the underarm/side seams" approach to this bodice.  Much easier to press while flat, unroll the pressed area at the edges, stitch, then roll the pressed edges back into place than it is to wrestle the entire bodice around on the sleeve board.

More pink top stitching above the band at the bottom, but black thread al around for the actual hem.  I did take the time to press the hem before sewing, instead of using the large hem roller, because I wasn't sure I I could keep the hem roller steady enough to align with the stripes in the homespun plaid...not that I did a perfect job of that all around anyway, but I felt like I would mess it up more with the hem roller.

Yes, pockets, of course.

And the back


There's not a lot of skill needed for a dress like this, and they can be a bit boring to make, but they're so much fun when they're done.

No comments:

Post a Comment