Monday, March 12, 2018

Roblagx

The kiddo has accumulated a lot of Roblox action figures.  He's also losing interest in Roblox, so those figures had been accumulating a lot of dust.  In retrospect, we could have found a nice box for all of them, but precedent had been set by the Terraria bag, so a Roblox bag was decreed.

The main difference is that I actually like Terraria, so put a modicum of effort into that project.  This one, though...pfft, just get it done.  Don't measure anything.  Don't double check the angle of the iconic square O logo.  Get it all wrong, whatever, just get it done.

And I did!

As mentioned, I tilted the square O in the wrong direction, but it's still recognizably Roblox.  We might even be able to call this the non-copyright-infringing homage version.

As with the Terraria bag, there's a big zippered pocket on the back, using the same "Mom got a good deal on a good deal of zippers in 1980" yellow zippers.

The lining on this bag isn't as exciting as the lining used in the Terraria bag.  The choices of fabric for the outside and the lining were both made from the big pile of cloth beside my desk that came from thrifted fabric grab bags.  (I have a weakness, OK?)  I have a vague plan to use up a lot of that cloth in random projects like this, especially in stuff for the kiddo.  (I just ordered some thread to that end.  Sometimes you do indeed have to spend money to be able to use the stuff you got for a great price, right?)

I took extra time to make sure the lining cloth was as out of the way as possible when I topstitched around the zippers.  I have a history of fighting with lining that likes to jump into zipper pulls.

The cloth for the square/tilting-the-wrong-way O came from my doll cloth stash.  Yes, it's the wrong color.  Yes, it's a bit large and the corners were lost in the seam allowance.  Yes, there's a bit of raw edge threads peeking out of the inner corners.

I'm still really happy with how the actual appliqué process went, especially considering there's no stabilizer of any kinds (and hooboy do I not lack for stabilizer, thanks to a different thrift store sewing supply grab bag find.)    I get a perverse satisfaction from zigzagging--tiny zigzagging--within in the bounds of my straight stitch foot.  Having a pretty good thread match helps.

Inside is a single simple pocket, intended to hold the package background cards and fold-out catalog leaflets.

Everything fit inside the bag with ease.  Now to see what fills in that empty shelf space over his computer...

No comments:

Post a Comment