Monday, March 12, 2018

Fallout--Now For Kids!

Of course I understand that the Fallout series is most definitely 100% not for kids.  Of course.

That said, the kiddo has watched his Dad play the game, as well as some relatively kid-friendly YouTubers (yes really) and we've discussed some of the Issues™ brought up by the game (although 'subversion of the capitalist ideal' is still a bit beyond him--we're good on 'violence isn't always the best or only answer.')  So the nine-year old isn't directly playing the game, but he does load mods for vault dwellers into any game he can. (After he's loaded mods for characters from Pokémon and Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex.  Yes, we've discussed the Issues™ of that series with him, too.)

Husband had bought a Fallout t-shirt that he didn't like the way it fit; a recent trawl through Kohl's clearance racks found a replacement with the same graphic and better fit.  I immediately--as in, while we were still in the store and hadn't purchased the shirt yet--decided I'd re-fashion the ill-fitting shirt into a shirt for the kiddo.

And I did.

I left the collar and shoulder seams in place, cut off the sleeves and cut the body open at the sides (where seams would be if it'd had side seams) before folding it in half and cutting it with the t-shirt pattern I'd amalgamated from a few patterns.

As usual, I cut the sleeves to retain the original shirt's coverstitching, so all I had to do was set the sleeves, sew the side/underarm seams, and hem the bottom.

I ma keenly aware that the print is slightly skewed--the original shirt was sewn incredibly off-grain, and I attempted to true that up least a little.  In the end, nothing was true, and that may also be a bit of a lesson to learn from the game, too.



No comments:

Post a Comment