Sunday, November 15, 2015

Well, I wasn't expecting that

Knew I wanted to spend time today sewing, expected I'd start a jacket for the kiddo, made this instead.




A week or so ago, I had the urge to go through my stash of intended-for-doll-clothes cloth, and match lots of prints into various color schemes.  Some of them, there looks like there might be enough for blankets, but others...well, there will probably be many more skirts.

I started assembling pieces a little after 9am with no clear idea where it would go, and ended up here a bit after 2pm.  Random patchwork is a lot of fun!

The width of the waistband was arrived at very randomly--just...hey, here're some long pieces of cloth, what's the largest width I can get out of them, cool, let's go ahead and sew that to the skirt...hmm, OK, I don't have any elastic that wide, so...um...ooh, yeah, make two channels and use narrower elastic, yay!  (My penchant for randomness--and the subsequent improvisation needed to make it work--has been mentioned before, yes?)

It's nice to do a one-day human-size project (as opposed to doll size--those're usually easily finished in one day.  Usually.)  Everything was attached to everything else while flat, so there's a big back seam from waist to hem, which I know is Very Unprofessional.  Ah, well.

The salmon bits with the cotton lace are from a slightly damaged thin cotton shirt I thrifted specifically so I could work on a commission of, basically, recreating Ellie Sattler's outfit for a doll.  A dinosaur doll. (I don't know if the doll owner is OK with me posting pictures before geting the doll and clothes back.)  It was cool that the shirt I found was not only the correct color and weight, but also had these interesting bits on the front and sleeves, which I figured I could find a use for after using what I needed for the doll shirt. (There's still a bit of the lace left to use for something else, although the damaged part is there.  Enh, if I do use it, I'll make it work.)

This is for me, mainly because I don't know a whole lot of little girls, and do little girls even wear stuff like this these days? I know there are zillions of tutorials for making them, but it's up to the individual kid about whether or not it's wanted...  So, yeah, hi, I'm 41 years old and dress like an out of date kid...with goth leanings. (You better believe that this will be worn with black everything else.)


No comments:

Post a Comment