Tuesday, November 10, 2015

And before that...

When I was procrastinating sewing the pirate costume, I sewed this




The pattern used was Simplicity 6290 from 1974, view 2 with shortened sleeves (obviously) because I didn't have enough of this thrifted wax print to make anything longer.  That's why the facing is contrast, too, and why the pattern matching across the placket is separate for the upper and lower sections, instead of all coming together in one big sewing geekery coordination above and below.

And I discovered that I had two different sets of light purple buttons that matched the ground perfectly, but I didn't like how they looked against the darker areas, but, hey, look, I also happened to have a set of buttons that matched the dark dark brown.  So.


The pattern calls for four buttons of ¾" diameter, but I went with six buttons of ½" diameter--that's the same volume of buttons overall, so that works out, right?  As always, the vintage automatic buttonholer attachment and the button-holding presser foot helped immensely in keeping me from despising the whole button process.

I love this print's digital halftone gradient fills.  That's some nostalgia right there, yup.

This pattern has been in my stash for a very very long time--it might not be hyperbole to say 'decades' (and it was in Mom's pattern stash before that)--but this is the first time I've used it.  I've made other circa-1974 size 12 patterns that fit extremely closely, so I was a bit dismayed by how roomy this was when I tried it on.  But!  I figured that would allow for layering over a tank top, and that's how I'm wearing it today, plus a cardigan over everything.

(Yes, I know, pattern matching, what pattern matching?  I know it's there.)

This shirt went together with no issues, so I'll probably make it again, and maybe before a few more decades pass, and maybe with the proper sleeve length, and maybe also with the back tie and collar options.

Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment