Saturday, November 28, 2015

Pants!

...for the kiddo

Thrifted pattern, smallest size is still too big, but, hey, it's a pattern for boys kids that isn't designed like an afterthought.  It's also from 1997, and, I'll be honest: I can't really tell if it's a truly timeless design, or if the fact that I remember fashion in 1997 is interfering with my ability to judge how out of date this might be.  (I would make a comment about Zubaz, but no-one would've been caught dead wearing loud patterns or eye-searing colors in 1997, pfft.) ((So  also won't make a comment about how it's entirely possible the Big 3 pattern companies may have been offering Zubaz-approximate patterns in 1997.  Nope.  Not gonna make that comment.))

Whoever had owned this before had used it, but...as a base for adult-size pants?  The pieces that were cut were cut beyond the largest size lines, with notebook paper extensions.  I trimmed the pieces down to the largest size, and cut the fabric in smallest.

I also combined views, using the false fly of view A with the cargo pockets of view B--not because I have any problems with zippers, or because I lacked appropriate zippers, but because the kiddo never uses the zippers in the jeans he has, instead choosing to shimmy in and out of them while they're completely closed.

Also, the pants legs really are the same length.  Really.

My curves need work, although the topstitching isn't as dire as I expected.  (...do..do I have a topstitching addiction?  I...might.)  I happened to have a perfect match thread (gifted) for this cloth (thrifted), but not a lot of it left, so I used black thread in the bobbin for the topstitching and black thread in both for the plain seams.  I didn't run out of the gray, so that was good! (Will probably use the rest for gray and black doll clothes.)

Decided to use Velcro instead of buttons on the pockets because I had the idea that it wouldn't use as much thread as button holes.  Not sure, in retrospect, if that's true, but I also didn't have any buttons that seemed appropriate for this, so I stand by this decision.

Since he's smaller than the pattern, I increased the sizes of a few seam allowances (which...it's KwikSew, so the seam allowances are only ¼" anyway), and used a smaller length of elastic in the back. The kiddo hasn't tried these on yet, because it's Saturday and it takes a lot to get him out of his pajamas on a Saturday.  We'll find out eventually if these fit...

No comments:

Post a Comment