Sunday, July 30, 2023

The Black Twill A-Line Skirt I've Meant to Make for Years

 When the quick'n'easy skirt in my previous post did not live up to my expectations for coordination, I decided to finally make the basic black skirt I've wanted in my wardrobe for years.

Of course, an all-black twill skirt doesn't photograph nearly as well as all the cat hair and lint stuck to it do.

This is the shorter A-line option from New Look 6843.  This time I admitted it should be cut in size 18...and then I added a bit more with at the center front and back.  It's loose.

I'm not sure where this medium/lightweight twill is from (other than second hand.)  I initially hesitated to use it, because of my preference for using up as close to all of a fabric as possible for a project.  But.  There's a lot of this.  Using it to make this simple little skirt still left plenty for future projects.

Behold: a dart, pressed nicely flat in this cotton; the waistband stitching, from pressing the waistband before sewing it to the skirt, sewing it to the inside, then flipping the pressed edge around to the front containing all the seam allowances, and edge stitched, all so I can avoid hand stitching; and the copious amounts of cat hair, brought in from aiding neighborhood cats with their summer shedding.

The blind hemming doesn't disappear into this fabric as thoroughly as it does into wool, but it's still very nice.

As usual, I added lining, made by cutting the same as the shell pieces and hemming a little deeper (turning it up twice at 1" each, while the shell was hemmed at 1½" total.)

I think I have established my preferred method of attaching the lining to the zipper first, keeping it far from the teeth, then sewing that unit to the shell with the usual centered seam application.

After that, I sew the front to back of the shell, then of the lining, after which it proceeds as usual for anyone making a lined skirt.  I think.  It's been a while since I followed directions for a skirt lining.

I know the waistband on this pattern always ends up extra thick, so I tried to make an extra long buttonhole to compensate, but it still didn't cooperate with the button I'd chosen, so I had to find something smaller.  Not that I lack for buttons!  So everything is, as usual, fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment